VA Southern Nevada Healthcare System
Flu season is quickly approaching and getting is flu shot is your first line of defense to protect you, your family, friends, and neighbors. Influenza ("flu") is a contagious disease that spreads around the United States every winter, usually between October and May. Flu is caused by the influenza virus, and can be spread by coughing, sneezing, and close contact. Anyone can get the flu, but the risk of getting the flu is highest among children. Symptoms come on suddenly and may last several days. They can include:
- sore throat
- muscle aches
- runny or stuffy nose
Flu vaccine is especially important for these people and anyone in close contact with them. Flu can also lead to pneumonia, and make existing medical conditions worse. It can cause diarrhea and seizures in children. Each year thousands of people in the United States die from flu, and many more are hospitalized. Flu vaccine is the best protection we have from flu and its complications. Flu vaccine also helps prevent spreading flu from person to person.
WHEN SHOULD I GET A FLU SHOT?
- In the fall, as soon as flu shots are available. A flu shot may protect you from the flu the entire season
- Get a flu shot every year as the flu strains change from year to year
CAN I GET THE FLU FROM GETTING THE SHOT?
- NO! Only inactive (dead virus) is used to make the flu shot vaccine, so you cannot get the flu from the flu shot
IS THE FLU SHOT SAFE?
- YES! Most people who get the flu shot do not have serious side effects or reactions to it
WHERE CAN I GET THE FLU SHOT?
• Get your flu shot, they are FREE at the following locations:
Northeast Primary Care Clinic
4461 E. Charleston Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89104 M-F 8am-3:30pm
Northwest Primary Care Clinic
3968 North Rancho Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89130 M-F 8am-3:30pm
Southeast Primary Care Clinic
1020 S. Boulder Highway
Henderson, NV 89015 M-F 8am-3:30pm
Southwest Primary Care Clinic
7235 South Buffalo Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89113 M-F 8am-3:30pm
VA Medical Center
6900 N. Pecos,
North Las Vegas, NV 89086 M-F 8:00am-3:30pm
2100 E. Calvada Blvd,
Pahrump, NV 89048 M-F 1:00 pm-3:30 pm
Women’s Health Center
6900 N. Pecos Road Ste. 3A-333
N. Las Vegas, NV 89086 M-F 8:00am-3:30 pm
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF FLU?
- Stay home when you are sick
- Clean hands often
- Cover your cough or sneezes