National Influenza Vaccination Week
According to the CDC the flu season occurs anywhere from November through March. That means the flu season is almost upon us. Sometimes you may not be sick now, but everyone around you could be. Flu shots in the Las Vegas community may cost as much as $32.00.
Get your flu shot, they are FREE at the following locations starting in the next few months:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is still encouraging the following population to receive their annual Influenza Vaccine:
- It is recommended that anyone over the age of 6 months of age who are not allergic to any component of the vaccine should get a flu shot
- People with long term health problems
- People with weakened immune systems
- People with certain muscle or nerve disorders
- Women who will be pregnant during influenza season
- Residents of long-term care facilities housing persons with chronic medical conditions
WHY SHOULD I GET MY FLU SHOTS?
The CDC reports that, "Flu seasons are unpredictable and can be severe. It is estimated that, on average, approximately 5% to 20% of U.S. residents get the flu, and more than 200,000 people are hospitalized for flu-related complications each year. Over a period of 30 years, between 1976 and 2006, estimates of flu-associated deaths in the United States range from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people."
- About 15,000 patient influenza vaccinations were recorded during week 52 (December 22 – 28, 2013)
- A total of 1,703,768 doses of flu vaccine have been recorded Since Aug. 1, 2013
- 25.7% of lab specimens tested were positive for influenza during week 52 (December 22 - 28, 2013)
- 92% of positive tests were Influenza A
- 7% were Influenza B
- 1% unspecified
- The highest number of lab-confirmed flu tests for Week 52 were seen in Texas (158), Tennessee (42), California (23) and Georgia (23)
- 1,582 patients have been identified with lab-confirmed flu within VA during the 2013-14 flu season
- 285 patients have had influenza-coded hospitalizations in VA during the 2013-14 flu season
- 42% of influenza hospitalizations are among VA patients aged 65 and older
- 49% of influenza hospitalization are among patients aged 45-64
For more information on the Flu, Vaccines, and the CDC, please visit their website at