Veterans Get the Facts on Flu:
The flu shots will begin in several weeks.
Influenza ("flu") is a contagious disease that spreads around the United States every winter, usually between October and May.
Flu is caused by the influenza virus, and can be spread by coughing, sneezing, and close contact.
Get your flu shot, they are FREE at the following locations:
|Northeast Primary Care Clinic
4461 E. Charleston Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89104
|Northwest Primary Care Clinic
||3968 North Rancho Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89130
|Southeast Primary Care Clinic
||1020 S. Boulder Highway
Henderson, NV 89015
|Southwest Primary Care Clinic
||7235 South Buffalo Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89113
||6900 N. Pecos,
North Las Vegas, NV 89086
||2100 E. Calvada Blvd,
Pahrump, NV 89048
||1:00 pm-3:30 pm
|Women’s Health Center
6900 N. Pecos Road Ste. 3A-333
N. Las Vegas, NV 89086
|Laughlin Rural Outreach Clinic
||Laughlin Professional Plaza
3650 South Point Circle
Building D, 2nd Floor
Laughlin, Nevada 89029
|No Flu Shots Available
It is recommended that anyone over the age of 6 months of age should get a flu shot.
Antibodies created through vaccination with one type of flu virus can sometimes offer protection against related flu viruses (this is called cross-protection)
The CDC is stressing that health care providers should be prepared to use antiviral medications when needed. These include Oseltamivir and Zanamivir. Antivirals are an important second line of defense against the flu
Promote other measures to prevent flu:
WHY SHOULD I GET MY FLU SHOT?
Anyone can get flu, but the risk of getting flu is highest among children. Symptoms come on suddenly and may last several days. They can include:
- sore throat
- muscle aches
- runny or stuffy nose
Flu can make some people much sicker than others. These people include young children, people 65 and older, pregnant women, and people with certain health conditions:
- kidney disease
- weakened immune system
Flu vaccine is especially important for these people, and anyone in close contact with them
- Flu can also lead to pneumonia, and make existing medical conditions worse. It can cause diarrhea and seizures in children
- Each year thousands of people in the United States die from flu, and many more are hospitalized
- Flu vaccine is the best protection we have from flu and its complications. Flu vaccine also helps prevent spreading flu from person to person
HOW WELL DOES THE FLU SHOT WORK?
- Studies show that getting a flu shot can reduce illness and death from flu
WHEN SHOULD I GET A FLU SHOT?
- In the fall , as soon as flu shots are available. A flu shot may protect you from the flu the entire season
- Get a flu shot every year as the flu strains change from year to year
CAN I GET THE FLU FROM GETTING THE SHOT?
- NO! Only inactive (dead virus) is used to make the flu shot vaccine, so you cannot get the flu from the flu shot
IS THE FLU SHOT SAFE?
- YES! Most people who get the flu shot do not have serious side effects or reactions to it
I AM ALLERGIC TO EGGS. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- If you have a severe allergy to chicken eggs, talk with your health provider before getting the flu shot
- Many people with egg allergies can still get a flu shot or other flu vaccine
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF FLU?
- Stay home when you are sick
- Clean hands often
- Cover your cough or sneezes
VA Flu Factsheet
For more information on the Flu, Vaccines, and the CDC, please visit their website at